0 | Posted on
Recipe: Keren Bobker
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Measure of rum
- 125g butter
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 egg
- A tablespoon of chopped preserved stem ginger. (From jar, plus add a little syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon - optional
- Another measure of rum
- Place apples, dates and soda in a bowl. Pour over boiling water. Allow to stand until just warm and add rum. Leave until cold.
- Beat butter and sugar together in another bowl until thick and creamy.
- Blend in egg and vanilla.
- Fold flour and apple mixture (including all the juice) alternately into creamed mixture.
- Spread into a greased and lined 22cm spring-form tin. Bake in a moderate oven (180ºC) for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool in the tin. Carefully remove sides of the tin. Transfer cake to a serving plate.
- Add another measure of rum (or brandy if preferred) to the cake, having pricked the top in a few places with a skewer or knife.
- Best served slightly warm with cream or ice cream.