1 | Posted on
North African chilli paste ? goes into many dishes. Bloody hot!
- 50g dried Bird's Eye chillies or a milder type if you prefer
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway seeds - if you can't find caraway seeds use fennel seeds - not quite authentic, but tastes OK
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- half teaspoon salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- Soak the chillies in warm water for 30 minutes until soft, then drain the liquid off.
- Put the chillies, garlic, spices and salt in a food processor and blend with about 1 tablespoon oil, and the tomato puree ( add extra oil by the tablespoon if necessary), to make a soft paste.
- Put it in an airtight container or jar, and cover surface with oil. Will keep for 6 months in fridge.