0 | Posted on
Char Siu Style Barbeque Pork Steaks are a terrific barbeque dish. Pork shoulder steaks barbeque well and are more juicy and tender than leg steaks when barbequed. Instant Pickle goes great with this dish. Serves 4.
- 4 pork shoulder steaks weighing about 1kg, in total, trimmed of any excess fat.
The Marinade Sauce
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice vinegar
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 2cm piece ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the pork steaks to the marinade sauce ensuring that all the meat is well covered.
- Cover and refrigerate for a least 4 hours.
- Before you cook them, remove any excess marinade from the chops , and put the excess back into the bowl,
- Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and gently bring the marinade to a boil and let it simmer gently for a couple of minutes.
- Use this cooked marinade to serve on the side, and maybe use to brush on the steaks as they cook.
- Make sure your barbeque is really hot, and cook the steaks for about 5 minutes a side, until they have a good colour, and not pink inside. Brush with the cooked marinade if required.
- Be careful not to burn the steaks as the honey in the marinade is liable to carbonise!
- Serve with steamed Pak Choi, rice or noodles, with the sauce on the side, and some Instant Pickles.