This is a real retro dish from the 1970's, but nonetheless still absolutely delicious. A good slug of Marsala wine gives this easy to make chicken dish a flavour twist. Ideal for a week night dinner or impress your friends with your culinary skills! Serve with sweet potato oven chips and steamed green vegetables.
Note: for 4 people just double the amounts
- 2 chicken breasts, skin removed
- 20g plain flour
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 125 ml dry Marsala wine
- 200ml oz chicken stock
- small handful chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
The Oven Chips
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½cm chips
- a little light oil
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ garlic powder
- Put the chicken breasts between sheets of cling film and beat, using a meat mallet or rolling pin, until about 5mm thick. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat the oven to 400F/220C/200C Fan
- Toss the sweet potato chips in a little oil and then some of the spices until they are coated.
- Put the chips on a baking tray covered in baking parchment and cook for about 20 minutes, until they are cooked and crispy. Turn them over every 5 minutes or so to ensure they get an even cooking.
- Put the flour on a plate and dip the chicken in it to coat lightly, shaking off any excess.
- Melt half the butter and oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and fry the chicken for 2–3 minutes on each side until golden-brown. Set aside.
- Wipe the pan with kitchen paper. Heat the remaining butter and oil over a medium heat and gently fry the shallot and garlic for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the Marsala wine and increase the heat to high.
- Cook until the liquid has reduced in volume by about half.
- Turn the heat back down to medium, add the stock and chicken.
- Simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- Put each chicken breast on a warm serving plate, and spoon over the mushrooms and sauce.
- Serve with oven baked sweet potato chips and steamed green veggies.
Leave a Comment