This is a luscious and tasty sauce to pour over your pasta. A side of roasted cherry tomatoes, and a sprinkling of basil and Parmesan cheese rounds off the dish nicely. Serves 2.
- 300g raw tiger prawns, shells removed (keep shells), and leave the tails on 4-6 big ones to use as a garnish
- 1 banana shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely grated
- ½ a small red pepper, finely chopped
- ½ a courgette, cut in half lengthways
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbs low fat crème fraîche
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- Splash of vermouth
- Olive oil for sautéing
- salt and black pepper
- Pasta of your choice – Tagliatelle is good
- Basil leaves, finely sliced
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6-8 vine cherry tomatoes
- Heat oven to 400°F/200°C/180°C Fan.
- Run a sharp knife along the back of each prawn and remove the intestinal vein.
- Add oil to a non-stick sauté pan and gently sauté the shallot and garlic in the oil for about a minute. Do not let them colour.
- Add the prawn shells, and keep sautéing until they have all turned pink
- Add a splash of vermouth and cook for a few seconds to cook off the alcohol
- Add the stock, and tomato puree, and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile put the tomatoes in a small oven proof dish, sprinkle the with oil and salt, and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Set aside for use as a garnish.
- After the sauce has simmered for 20 minutes, taste it it should be quite prawny in flavour. Strain off the stock; put it back in the pan.
- Reduce it over a medium heat until there is about 300ml of stock left.
- Whisk in the sugar and crème fraîche, and check the seasoning. Keep warm on a low heat. Note: Do not let it boil or the sauce will split
- At this point start cooking your pasta.
- Remove the soft centre of the courgette with a tea spoon, and slice finely – you should have little crescents of courgette
- Sauté the courgette and red pepper in a little oil for about a minute
- Add the prawns and sauté for a minute or two until cooked. Keep aside the 4 big ones with the tails on for use as a garnish.
- Add the cooked prawns, courgette, and red pepper mixture to the sauce, and heat through.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and put into individual bowls. Spoon over the sauce, and garnish with the tomatoes, large prawns, basil and grated tomato.