0 | Posted on
Recipe: Keren Bobker The recipe makes a LOT and requires two large saucepans - so you could halve the quantities.
- 2lbs (900g) onions, sliced
- 2lb Bramley cooking apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 pkt fresh cranberries 12oz (340g)
- 2 pints cider vinegar
- Zest 2 oranges
- 1oz (28g) fresh ginger chopped finely
- 1tbsp coarse sea salt
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 100g sugar
- 2lb naturally dried apricots coarsely chopped
- 1 pkt of dates pitted and chopped (175g/6oz)
- 1lb raisins
- Juice of 8 oranges or 1pint orange juice.
You will also need:
- 2lb (900g) English sugar (or more to taste)
- First, put the dried fruit into a bowl and pour the orange juice over it, to soak.
- Place the first block of ingredients (the fresh ingredients) into a saucepan and cook gently, until the onion is pale and see-through and the cranberries have given up some of their colour, turning the contents pale pink.
- Add the dried fruit - which will have absorbed much of the orange juice - to the saucepan, together with the sugar.
- Bring up to a simmering boil, stirring frequently so the contents don?t ?catch? on the bottom of the saucepan. Cook for approx 1 ½ hours, more if it does no?t achieve the right looking consistency.