If you are following a low calorie diet, or maybe the 5:2 diet, it can be quite difficult to make a quick and easy meal that is nutritious, tasty, and fits in with your diet regime. This dish will serve 2 people, and comes out at approximately 450 calories for the whole dish! It takes about 20 minutes to prepare, and about 5 or 6 minutes to cook.
- 1 Echalion (banana) shallot, peeled and thinly sliced lengthways
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 1tsp root ginger, peeled and finely sliced into little matchsticks
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 courgette, sliced in half lengthways and then cut into thin half-moon slices ( I first of all like to scoop out the watery centre with a teaspoon)
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced lengthways and then cut across into slices
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 4 spring onions, cut into 2cm lengths
- 1 stick of celery, thinly sliced cross-wise
- 50g fine green beans cut into 2cm lengths
- 100g broccoli florets
- 250ml chicken stock made with a good quality stock cube such as Kallo
- 100ml of oyster sauce
- 1 large pinch of 5 spice powder
- low calorie oil spray ( usually about 1 calorie a spray)
- 200g skinless chicken breast, cut in 2cm cubes
- In a large non-stick saute pan or wok, lightly brown the chicken cubes in a couple of sprays of oil. Set the chicken aside.
- With a couple more sprays of oil, cook the shallot, garlic and ginger for 1 minute stirring all the time to avoid burning.
- Add all the vegetables apart from the spring onion and stir fry for another minute.
- Add the stock, 5 spice powder, oyster sauce, and the browned chicken and stir together well.
- Cover and cook on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Just before you serve mix in the spring onion.
- Serve by itself at 225 calories a portion or with a 60g serving of brown basmati rice - the rice will add another 70 calories.
- Tip: For a bit of added flavour I like to serve some sushi ginger as a side garnish - a whole small 100g jar is only about 20 calories, so few slices barely count!
One Comment about “Low Calorie Chicken Stir Fry”
Leave a Comment