1 | Posted on
This is an aromatic and pungent spice mix, full of strong flavours, and a deep heat. Every Sri Lanka home has it's own recipe. Use in pork and chicken dishes, along with tamarind pulp and coconut milk for an authentic flavour.
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp green cardamom seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick, broken into small pieces
- 6 cloves
- 10 dried curry leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a small non-stick sauté pan toast the seeds. cloves, and cinnamon stick (don't toast the curry leaves) until they release their pungent aroma and turn brown. Do not burn them as they will become bitter. Roast them one type at a time as they all take different times to cook. Set aside to cool.
- Put the cooled spices and the curry leaves into a spice grinder or use a pestle and mortar, and grind finely.
- Put the ground spices in a bowl and mix in the turmeric and cayenne pepper.
- This will keep for a month in an airtight container.
Leave a Comment