Baby Aubergine Slices With Tomato Sauce And Yoghurt Dressing
- 10 baby aubergines cut into rounds, 5 mm thick
- 500 g tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 500 g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5-6 tbsp oil
- chaat masala, for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Heat a few tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan and fry the aubergine slices in batches until well browned on both sides.
- Arrange them on a baking tray without over-lapping.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes in a blender until roughly chopped
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan in which the aubergines were fried. And add the onion and fry until light brown.
- Stir in the ginger and garlic (keeping aside a teaspoon of the garlic for the dressing and fry until golden.
- Add the chilli powder, tomatoes and some salt and simmer until the mixture has a thick consistency.
- Stir in half the coriander, check the seasoning.
- Sprinkle chaat masala on the aubergine slices and spoon tomato sauce on each one.
- Cover with foil and place in an oven reheated to 140C/275F/Gas Mark 1 for 5-10 minutes, until -heated through.
- Whilst they are heating up whisk the yoghurt until smooth and stir in the reserved garlic, the remaining coriander and the lemon juice.
- Place the aubergine slices onto a warm serving plate and top each with a spoonful of the yoghurt dressing.