Recipe: Keren BobkerA virtually foolproof recipe that makes a lovely light cake, liked even by those who say they don?t like banana bread, as this has a more delicate texture and taste.
- 5oz butter or margarine
- 5oz sugar (caster, granulated or light brown)
- 7oz self-raising flour
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 12oz ripe bananas (in skins, approx)
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- A 1lb loaf tin, lightly greased, or lined
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade
- Cream butter and sugar until light & fluffy.
- Add beaten eggs & stir.
- Peel banana & mash well. Add to mix.
- Add in dry ingredients & mix.
- Add vanilla essence to taste. If very thick add a drop of milk, or even water, to loosen.
- Pour into loaf tin, roughly level. Middle of oven for around 45 minutes. Check centre of cake with sharp knife or skewer, if ready remove from oven and leave to cool in tin for 10-15 mins before turning out.
- If not quite ready, you may need to cover top with foil to stop it burning, just leave for another 5 minutes at a time.