Brisket Braised in Red Wine
Brisket that has been slowly braised for hours in a low oven to give you tender meat and a rich red wine sauce . What could be better on a cold winters day than this heart warming dish served with creamy mashed potatoes. Serves: 6-8.
- 1.5 kg of brisket
- 3 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely grated
- 250 ml red wine
- 400 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/300°F.
- In a heavy flame proof casserole dish, heat the olive oil over a medium heat, and brown the brisket joint on all sides. Set the meat aside.
- In the remaining oil and meat juices gently sauté the onions until they start to soften - about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper, to the casserole dish, and place the brisket joint on top. The liquid should only come part way up the joint.
- Cover the dish and cook in the oven for 2½-3 hours, basting the joint occasionally, until the meat is beautifully tender.
- Check the seasoning, then slice thickly and serve on a warmed plate, with the sauce poured over the top, and a side dish of creamy mashed potato.