- 2 tbs cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tb garam masala
- 1 tb mango powder
- 1 tb black salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch asafetida powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp Asafetida,
- 1/4 tsp amchoor (mango powder)
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- Toast and grind cumin and fennel seeds and combine with remaining ingredients.
- Black salt, or Kala Namak, is not black, but more a reddish-gray, because of the presence of trace minerals and iron. It is not interchangeable with sea salt or table salt because of it's distinct flavour
- The black salt gives the blend a sourness that makes it a welcome accompaniment to fresh fruit and other snacks.
- 'Chat' refers to various snacks and to the North Indian cafes that serve them. Fresh fruit often is sprinkled with lime juice and chat masala.