Crispy, spicy, and succulent chicken that marries beautifully with the flavoursome roasted vegetables. The Padrn chillies give a background hint of spiciness, and a subtle heat. Serves 4.
- 4 free range chicken leg and thigh portions, slashed with a sharp knife
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1cm thick chips
- 8 new potatoes, blanched for 3 minutes in boiling water, and cut in half
- 1 red pepper, cut lengthways into 1cm strips
- 1 green pepper, cut lengthways into 1cm strips
- 10 large garlic cloves, peeled, and crushed
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
- 10 Padrón chillies
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp hot, sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a food processor whiz two of the garlic cloves, with the sweet chilli sauce and 1 tbsp olive oil to make a thick marinade.
- Coat the chicken portions with the marinade mixture and leave to marinade in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
Heat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/ gas 6.
- Put all the vegetables in a baking tray and coat with the remaining olive oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Place the chicken joints on top of the vegetables, sprinkle with some more salt, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken joints over and give the vegetables a mix around. Cook for another 20-30 minutes until the chicken is crisp and the vegetables roasted.
- Serve a portion of chicken per person with a serving of vegetables, and any juices from the baking pan spooned over the chicken.