Chilli con Carne has to be one of the best dishes to serve to friends for a casual get-together. It is best cooked the day beforehand as the flavours will develop overnight.
- 400g lean minced steak
- 2 echalion (banana) shallots, finely sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin kidney beans
- 400ml strong beef stock
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ - 1 tsp cayenne pepper - to suit your taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 40g 70% dark chocolate
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced for garnishing
- chopped parsley for garnishing
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- sea salt for seasoning
- Heat the oil in s large saucepan over a medium heat and slowly sauté the shallots until they start to soften.
- Add the steak mince and stir into the shallots. Keep stirring until the mince has browned.
- Now add the garlic, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper, and stir into the meat. Cook for another two minutes.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, and stock and mix well.
- Now stir in the diced peppers, tomato purée, sugar, and chocolate and again mix well.
- Bring the mixture up to a low simmer, cover with a lid and continue simmering for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid check the consistency - it should have started to thicken.
- Continue simmering for another 10 minutes, and by this time the chilli should have reached a nice thick, but still liquid consistency.
- Now check the seasoning and add salt if required.
- Serve in bowls with plain boiled rice or tortilla bread, garnished with sliced red chillies and parsley.