- 150g red lentils, washed
- 100g chana Dahl, washed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 3 green cardamoms, bruised
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp brown mustard seeds
- 2 small dried red birds-eye chillies
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 large onion cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 litre of Marigold vegetable stock
- Fry the onions in a little oil until very soft but not browned.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry with the onions for a minute
- Add the spices and stir fry for a minute
- Add the stock and mix with the onions and spices
- Add the lentils and chana Dahl, and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to stop the Dahl sticking to the bottom.
- Keep cooking slowly until the chana Dahl is tender and the mixture has reached the thickness of Dahl required ? some folk like it thick and some more like soup.
- Serve Dahl in a bowl.
- Fry some mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped garlic and some small red dried chillies in a tablespoon of oil to make a tarka. When the mustard seeds begin to pop pour the mixture over the Dahl in the serving bowl