In honour of St. George's Day, something a little different to spice up your celebrations - this is what makes a dragon breathe fire! Dragon's Breath Relish is a quick and easy to make spicy relish, that is very versatile. Add it to soups as a base, spice up a stew or a pasta sauce, spread it on crostini, or as a great accompaniment to grilled meats or fish. Try it with a poached egg on toast - it's really good!
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 red Bird's Eye chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 ripe large beef tomato, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil over a medium heat and sauté the onion, pepper, chillies, garlic, cumin, oregano, and bay leaf, for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent, but not brown.
- Add the tomato, salt and pepper, honey, dark brown sugar, and lime juice, and cook until the liquid in the mixture is reduced by about a third and starting to thicken.
- Leave to cool, and store in a clean glass jar. It will keep in the refrigerator for about a week.