Fruit scones are really easy to make and are a perfect treat for afternoon tea, served with clotted cream, and strawberry jam. Yum!
- 225g self raising flour
- 55g chilled butter, cubed
- 30g sugar
- 55g sultanas
- 1 beaten egg
- 60ml milk
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat oven to 230C/210 Fan/450F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt through a sieve into a bowl.
- Using your fingers, rub the cubed butter into the flour, until you have a coarse mixture.
- Add the sugar and sultanas and mix well.
- Mix the beaten egg and milk together and slowly add to the dry ingredients, kneading it into a soft dough. Do not overwork the dough!
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to about 5mm thick and use a scone cutter to cut out 8 scones.
- Place on a greased baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes, until they are risen and golden.