A warming and succulent dish. Tender, juicy gammon with lots of sweet and savoury flavours from the beans. Ideal for a family supper, or to eat with friends for a casual supper party. Serves 4.
- a small gammon joint, about 900g
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 ml tomato pasata
- 100ml red wine
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp English mustard powder
- 2 x 300g cans borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepepr for seasoning
- Heat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C.
- Heat an oven and flame proof casserole over a medium heat.
- Add the oil and brown the gammon until golden all over about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the tin, stir and cook gently for about 5 minutes until the onion has softened but but not browned, then add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the red wine, tomato purée, and pasata, maple syrup, molasses, mustard.
- Next add the beans and stock, cover with a lid and cook on the stove top for 10 minutes.
- Add the gammon, re-cover and bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes to reduce the liquid slightly.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes, before slicing the gammon.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed greens, and the beans.