Keralan Fish Curry
- 350g Haddock fillets, skinned and cubed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Vegetable oil spray
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 400ml thin coconut milk made with Nestle coconut milk powder
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, shredded
- 200g trimmed fine green beans, halved lengthways
- 100g sweet red pepper cut into matchsticks
- 2 salad onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, very finely chopped - add more or less to taste
- Sprinkle the fish with the turmeric and set aside.
- Spray a large pan with oil and cook the shallots, and garlic with the spice seeds for 5 minutes or so until golden.
- Add the coconut milk, tamarind paste, beans and red pepper, and shredded ginger and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the fish, and finely chopped chilli to the pan, cover and simmer gently for 34 minutes until the fish is cooked.
- Scatter with sliced salad onions and serve with brown basmati rice.