Lemon and Pistachio Cookies
These Lemon and Pistachio Cookies from guest chef, Keren Bobker, are absolutely delicious. We can guarantee they won't be around for very long. Serves: - well, it depends how fast you are!
- 225g soft butter or margarine
- 140g caster sugar
- 280g plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of salt
- the juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 50g ground pistachio nuts
- Cream the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk and mix well.
- Add the flour and salt, the lemon juice and the ground pistachio nuts.
- Mix to form a sticky cookie dough.
- Put the dough onto a floured work surface, and roll into a thick sausage shape.
- Wrap the sausage of cookie dough in cling-film and leave in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190C /375F/Gas mark 6.
- Take the sausage of cookie dough out of the freezer: it should be firm and easier to cut.
- Unwrap the dough and use a sharp knife to slice it into cookies as thick as you want.
- Put the cookie slices onto a sheet of baking paper on a baking sheet, spaced quite far apart.
- If you need to bake them in more than one batch, wrap the excess dough and put it back into the freezer so it doesn't go soft.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, then leave to cool.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve!