Lobia – Black-eyed Peas in Ginger and Tamarind Sauce
- 250 gms dried black-eyed peas
- 2 tsp grated ginger root
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1-2 green chilis, chopped
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1 medium sliced onion
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves
- Rinse and soak beans for a couple of hours in at least 1 litre of water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring beans to a boil over medium heat, add half the ginger, the chili powder, and the tumeric.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan and cook slowly for 45-50 minutes Add remaining ginger, chilis, tamarind pulp, mix it well and let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, SLOWLY dry fry onion to gradually carmelize it, as it begins to color add cumin seeds and garlic (add a little water to prevent burning if necessary).
- Remove pan from heat just as garlic darkens. Pour mixture into beans, together with Garam masala, stir and cook another 5 minutes. Before serving, stir in coriander leaves and serve hot.