Most West Indians hold up their hands in horror when I say I cook Rice 'n' Peas in a microwave, but it works! For this recipe you need a large Pyrex (or similar) ovenproof glass casserole that can be used in a microwave oven
- 400g easy cook long grain American rice
- 750ml chicken stock
- 25g creamed coconut shaved into flakes
- 1 400g can pigeon peas (or black eye beans, or red kidney beans)
- 2 spring onions, washed and finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon chilli sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. tomato puree
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Put all the ingredients into the casserole, cover with the stock and mix well. There may seem to be a lot of liquid, but it will be absorbed during the cooking.
- Cooking times will vary depending on the power of the oven. For more powerful ovens, reduce the time accordingly. Times in this recipe are for a 750 watt oven.
- Cook at full power for 10 minutes, then stir.
- Cook for 10 minutes more, and stir. By this time most of the liquid will have been absorbed.
- Cook again for 2 minutes, check and stir. Repeat until the grains of rice are fat and tender, and not ?wet?.
- Remove form the oven and remove lid.
- Stir and place a cloth or paper towel over the bowl, and replace the lid. Stand for five minutes until any excess moisture is absorbed.