Pizza Express salad dressing is very popular, both in their restaurants, and on sale in supermarkets. All it really is, is a light, creamy, Italian style dressing. This recipe is based on one from an old 1970's Pizza Express recipe book - it's really straightforward to make, and is my preferred dressing of choice on many salads.
150ml olive oil
75ml white wine vinegar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp sugar
- ½ clove of garlic, peeled and finely grated
½ tsp salt
pinch black pepper
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp brandy
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce (or Henderson's Relish)
1 tsp dried oregano
- Optional: lemon juice
- The process of making this dressing is similar to making mayonnaise.
- Beat the egg yolk until creamy and then beat in the sugar, salt, pepper, mustard, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and brandy. Keep beating until it thickens.
- Add the oil, slowly at first, beating all the time.
- Now add the vinegar, again beating steadily.
- Check the seasoning. If the consistency is a little oily you can add a little lemon juice.
- Put the dressing in a sealed bottle and it will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.