Serves 4 - 6.
For the stock
- 1.5 litres of vegetable stock made with Marigold stock powder
- 1 star anise
- 3 birds-eye chilli split open and seeded
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 stalk lemon grass, bruised
- 1 inch cube of peeled ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled, and finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot roughly copped
- 2 tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion finely sliced
- heads and shells of 16 medium size tiger prawns
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- groundnut oil for frying
For the instant soup?
- Finely shredded Chinese leaves
- Baby spinach leaves
- Very finely sliced small carrots
- Very finely sliced spring onion
- Bean sprouts
- Cooked noodles
- Chopped coriander
- 16 medium size tiger prawns shelled and de-veined ( keep shells for stock)
- Fry the onions until soft, then add the ginger and garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add the red curry paste and fry for a minute with the onions, ginger and garlic
- Add the prawn heads and shells and cook for another minute
- Add the remaining ingredients and the stock and bring to the boil
- Simmer gently for 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly and then strain stock through a fine sieve.
- Put stock in a clean pan and bring back to a simmer.
- Check seasoning.
- Put a mixture of the ?instant soup? ingredients into serving bowls.
- Drop the prawns into the stock, bring back to a simmer and cook for a minute.
- Add some prawns to each serving bowl.
- Bring the stock up to the boil, and ladle the boiling stock into the serving bowls. The hot stock will cook the soup ingredients instantly. Serve.