Spiced Vegetable Pulao
- Basmati rice - up to the 500ml mark in a measuring jug
- 100 gm chana dhal
- Coriander leaves ? small bunch chopped
- 600 ml warm vegetable stock
- Pinch of saffron strands
- 50 gm coconut milk powder
Vegetables: whatever you fancy.
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- Chopped green beans 100 gm
- Chopped carrot - 100 gm
- 2 chopped celery sticks
- Sweet potato - 100gms
- Green peas - 50 gm
Ginger-Garlic paste - made with 5 cloves of garlic and 5cm of peeled ginger whizzed in a food processor with a little oil to make a paste
- ½ tsp Fennel seeds
- 5 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 5cm Cinnamon stick
- Light oil for frying
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Soak the chana Dahl for a hour, then simmer in a small pan of water for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes and then rinse until the water is clear. Drain.
- Chop all the big vegetables in a small dice and put them aside.
- Add the saffron strands and the coconut milk powder to the warm stock and mix well. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Sauté the onion with the spices for 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes,
- Add the vegetables and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix well with the vegetables.
- Add the stock/coconut milk mix and ¼ tsp salt.
- Mix well and slowly bring to the boil.
- Turn down to a very low heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Gently turn the rice into serving dish.
- Optionally garnish with crispy fried onions, crushed pistachio nuts, chopped coriander leaves.