- 1kg stewing or braising steak
- 1 small onion peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed and finely chopped
- 3 large field mushrooms halved and sliced
- 500 ml beef stock made with two good quality stock cubes ? e.g. Just Boullion
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 2 tbs plain flour
- salt and black pepper for seasoning
- I tsp chopped fresh thyme
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
- Chop the steak into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes, and remove any excess fat and sinew.
- Put the flour into a bowl and season well with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Coat the steak cubes with the seasoned flour.
- In a heavy casserole, fry the onions for a few minutes until soft. Remove from the pan.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, and add the steak in batches, to brown it all over.
- Return the onions to the pan along with the garlic, and cook for another minute.
- Add the herbs and mushrooms, and stir.
- Finally add the stock and tomato puree, and stir well.
- Cover and cook in a low oven (170ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark3) for about 2 hours. Check occasionally to make sure that it is not drying out and add more stock/water if required.
- Before serving check seasoning