Strawberry and Apple Jam
What do you make when you have some strawberries and some apples? Strawberry and Apple Jam, of course! This is a fresh and sweet tasting jam, ideal for spreading on scones with some clotted cream. Makes about two 400g jars.
- 500g strawberries, washed and hulled
- 400g caster sugar
- 2 Bramley Apples apples, peeled, cored and diced
- Juice of half a lemon
- Put a clean saucer into the freezer to chill.
- Cut the large strawberries into half and leave the small ones whole
- Put the strawberries in a large saucepan and pour the sugar over them and toss them about.
- Add the lemon juice and bring slowly to a boil over a medium heat.
- Add the apples and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Carefully skim off any foam that rises to the top whilst it is cooking.
- After 25 minutes you need to test for set - put a teaspoonful onto the chilled saucer from the freezer, if the edges wrinkle slightly when tipped, the jam is ready.
- If not cook for another 5 minutes and test for the set again.
- Keep doing this until the jam has set to your satisfaction.
- When the set is right, pour into sterilised jars and seal.
Tip: To sterilise jars, either place them in an oven preheated to 150°C /300°F for 10 minutes, or put them through a hot cycle in your dishwasher.