For the batter
- 250 gm. gram flour
- 1/2 tsp. carom or ajwain seeds
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder.
- A few chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- Water to make batter
- Salt to taste
- A selection of vegetables garlic, potatoes, onions, courgettes, cauliflower, green chillies or other vegetables of choice.
- Mix the batter ingredients with and electric whisk using enough water to give a coating consistency.
- Slice the vegetables into 3mm slices.
- If using cauliflower, break into small florets and steam for 2 minutes before using.
- Mix the vegetables with the batter, either individual types or a mixed variety.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to a medium heat.
- Fry in batches until golden.
- Place on a warm plate covered with kitchen paper.
- These are best served immediately. But can be kept warm in an oven for about 15 minutes.