Spicy, savoury, and very healthy ByXanthe Clay Mens perk:a poppadom (37 cals).
Ingredients ( for 1 person)
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- 80g red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- ½?tsp ground cumin seeds
- a pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 500g tomatoes, chopped
- 20g red lentils
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp Greek yogurt
Total: 248 cals
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook until soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in the turmeric, cumin, mustard seed and chilli flakes (if you are using them) and cook gently for another minute.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes and lentils. Stir in 500ml water and a fat pinch of salt. Simmer for about half an hour, topping up with water if necessary, until the lentils are swollen and collapsing.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Mix the yogurt with 1-2 tbsp water to make a pouring consistency.
- Eat the soup scattered with coriander and drizzled with yogurt.